neuromd2012, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified in Neurology and Psychiatry.

My wife quit Elavil within a month and is now taking

Customer Question

My wife quit Elavil within a month and is now taking Pristiq. She had, and has all of the bad effects of a sudden withdrawal from the Elavil, and the Pristiq was given to her to help with depression and anxiety.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The good effect of getting off Elavil (and also Neurotin) was that she enjoyed hugging me and kissing me on the mouth for the first time in 15 years. Now that is going away as the Pristiq take hold.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mental Health Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  neuromd2012 replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I am here to answer your questions. Pristiq is a newer SSNI type of antidepressant. It is a single enantiomer of venlafaxine (effexor) which means it works a little cleaner than effexor, and because it is a SNRI type of medication it effects other neurotransmitter systems than just serotonin. So what does that mean? Well it should give her a bit more energy, as well as improve her mood. But maybe the mood component has not happened just yet. How long has she been on this new medication? How can I help. Please get back to me with questions and I will answer them, or if satisified with this answer, please remember to rate my service as that is how I get compensation. thanks, ***** ***** hear from you. Dr Frank