Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

Please tell me why NPD, is incurable, and why you should not

Customer Question

Please tell me why NPD, is incurable, and why you should not even try to reach a Narcissist who Loves You! I do understand the signs, I know them, I Live them still. But why has the mental Health community for lack of better description, written them off. Especially with the devastating effects of the disorder to others?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Unfortunately NPD is resistant towards treatment for two main reasons 1) Most people with NPD do not think anything is wrong with them, as they feel everyone else is wrong, so they do not enter into treatment or put in the effort to help themselves in treatment 2) Nearly every study has shown that multiple therapy modalities and medications have proven ineffective for lessening the symptoms of NPD. This is not an opinion, but a fact and that cannot be changed. The mental health community has not "written off" people with NPD, but instead they realize the limitations of mental health treatment and how it cannot fix everyone...just like in the medical community, not everyone can be saved.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My request is more inclusive. Where are the studies, research information, anything that more clearly defines the perspective? Focus is crucial, you cant find a cure if focusing on the wrong aspect of the issue...
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.

Here are a few resources you can look at concerning NPD treatment prognosis:

Ogrodniczuk, J. S., Piper, W. E., Joyce, A. S., Steinberg, P. I., & Duggal, S. (2009). Interpersonal problems associated with narcissism among psychiatric outpatients. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 43, 837– 842.

Pincus, A. L., & Lukowitsky, M. R. (2010). Pathological narcissism and narcissistic personality disorder. Annual Review of Clinical Psychology, 6, 421– 446.

Gabbard, G. O. (2009). Transference and countertransference: Developments in the treatment of narcissistic personality disorder. Psychiatric Annals, 39, 129 –136.

Campbell, W. Keith and *****, ***** (2011). Handbook of Narcissism and Narcissistic Personality Disorder. John Wiley and Sons.

REICH, JAMES H. M and VASILE, RUSSELL G. (1993). Effect of Personality Disorders on the Treatment Outcome of Axis I Conditions: An Update. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 181.

Stone, Michael H (1993). Abnormalities of Personality: Within and Beyond the realm of treatment. Norton and Company.

Unfortunately as much as you "love" this individual, the reality is going to be the same as most likely this individual will not change and because treatment is voluntary, most patients with NPD will consistently not follow through with treatment. So it is not about what focus a mental health practitioner has because if the individual will not abide by treatment than there is not much anyone can a comparison if an obese patient has been told by their doctor to exercise and eat right, but will not, there is little a medical doctor can do. The same applies to mental health treatment because 95 percent of the effort is made by the patient