Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Experience:  LMSW, CASAC
90967183

Does 250 of anafranil more likely to work then 100mg i

Customer Question

does 250 of anafranil more likely to work then 100mg i currently take. How would i know if the medication is working or not. I always get thoughts like walking in a store with a gun and shooting and i dont even have a gun. can that be with harm ocd
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. Thank you for using Just Answer. I am here to help you.

The usual dose for individuals with depression is 200mg and for OCD is 250mg. So yes, you may find that the 250mg dose is a more therapeutic level for you. And the only way to find out is to increase the dosage gradually over the next several weeks. And yes, your intrusive thoughts of waling into a store with a gun is a symptom of Harm OCD. I am sure you probably know this already but I want to assure you that even though you are having these thoughts the likelihood of acting on them is very minimal, but it is important to continue treatment for your OCD so that you can have less thoughts. Is there something else I can help you with? Linda

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
my thoughts are all day from the minute i wake up till i go to bed it goes from thinking im gonna walk outside with a knife to going to work or my neighbors with a gun or setting myself on fire it always switches but these thoughts repeat alot. does this sound like harm ocd when would it be an emergency
Expert:  Linda D. replied 8 months ago.

I know this must be so distressing and exhausting to you to constantly be dealing with these thoughts. This is definitely harm OCD. This would be a true emergency if you ever found yourself actually starting to put the plan in place to hurt someone and making all of the arrangements to make it happen. However, the majority of individuals who have harm OCD do not harm themselves or others, they are just obsessed with the thought that they will. And these thoughts are distressing and unwanted. Do you have a therapist that you are working with? Linda

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
every two weeks i see a psychiatrist and psychologist. i get scared that i will carry out the behavior that i am thinking. As far as a gun and knife go when would it be an emergency. i get scared i will pick up a knife
Expert:  Linda D. replied 8 months ago.

Please trust yourself and stay with your treatment. Feeling scared about your behavior is a good indication that you are not in danger of acting on your thoughts. When you get a thought of harming someone i want you to say, "I am not going to harm anyone, this is an innocent symptom of my OCD." If you do this often enough you will start to believe that your thoughts can not harm you. As far as a gun or knife goes, if you actually used it on someone then it is a real emergency. Otherwise these are just innocent symptoms of Harm OCD. Linda

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i think about shooting myself sometimes or cutting myself is that the same thing i get scared cause i always think im gonna harm someone or myself its very vivid with the thoughts
Expert:  Linda D. replied 8 months ago.

These questions are actually different questions from the one we started with about the medications. I hear how distressed you are, but would ask that you please take a moment to rate my service to you regarding what we have discussed so far and while you are doing that I will compose one more response to you regarding this last question. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it. Linda

Expert:  Linda D. replied 8 months ago.

I found this website that has a support group online that may help you to not feel so alone. http://www.ocdaction.org.uk/forum/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/any-success-storys-intrusive-thoughts-harm-ocd

You may want to check it out. Remember the fact that your thoughts scare you and are unwanted indicates that you are not very likely to ever act on them. I hope the information I have given you tonight help you. Harm OCD is not hopeless, you can get better with medication management, therapy and some time. I wish you all the best. sincerely, Linda

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i have struggled with it for nine years with no relief so im not hopeful in getting better. i have had therapy for years and have tried every ssri you can think of im not sure what else to do
Expert:  Linda D. replied 8 months ago.

Do not give up hope, I have seen people recover from pervasive mental health disorders when it was least expected. Try the online community that I researched for you. It is based in England but has a lot of good suggestions. We are constantly changing as individuals and treatments are constantly improving. I truly wish you all the best, ***** ***** sharing your experience with me and please take a moment to rate my service to you as that is the only way I can get credit for being here for you this evening. Sincerely, Linda