Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Help, I'm currently in my 4th year of University, I've had

Customer Question

help
JA: OK. The Psychologist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Psychologist can help you best.
Customer: I'm currently in my 4th year of University, I've had set back after set back all throughout my time here to the point in 3rd year when personal issues meant i could not complete my course. I took two years out for the sake of my mental health and felt strong when i returned. But since i started up again it's been one set back after another, I've had money issues, family issues, severe mental strain, at the start of the year i caught an infection and was too fatigued to study for almost two months which included swelling in the face and lymphatic system and break outs with boils and spots. This illness came at a time when i had to do my dissertation, coursework and also the work i had to make up for in 3rd year. I've felt suicidal, felt like giving up but I've kept on pushing. I was on course to catch up, trying to complete an essay so i could focus on my dissertation then my computer was corrupted and i lost my entire essay which was about 80% finished. I have 10 days to complete a dissertation which i haven't started to write yet and also a 3000 word essay and a presentation. I've made so many sacrifices for my academic career so far so i know i need to finish but i just can't do it. I want to give up but i know i can't which last night brought on a series of panic attacks. I've never had panic attacks in my life and all of a sudden i can't breathe, I have no energy and i just want to give up. I don't know what to do
JA: When you start doubting if you are seeing the world in the same way as everyone else it's time to talk to out Expert - or go live on a desert island. Is there anything else the Psychologist should be aware of?
Customer: hmm
JA: Our top Psychologist is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Psychologist in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Psychologist until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 8 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, what is your specific mental health question that you would like an answer to in regards ***** ***** situation? If you are suffering from a panic attack, have you considered going to your doctor and receiving a prescription psychotropic medication to help lessen these panic attacks and to help bring you peace?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
really? is that your advice? how do i get a refund?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 8 months ago.

It was not an answer actually, it was more of an information request trying to see what you have tried so far. Panic attacks are usually treated well with medication, which is probably what you are going to need to help you overcome this. Therapy is a long and arduous process that will not provide results for several months and it sounds like you want relief as soon as possible, so that is why you most likely will need medication.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
hello??????
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 8 months ago.

Hello what?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
sorry i didn't refresh the page so i didn't see your answer. My apologies for being short, it's not like me i'm just under a lot of pressure right now. i think i misunderstood the services on offer and probably just needed someone to talk to. I just feel like giving up but i know it's not an option but i can't muster the strength to keep going
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 8 months ago.

Its okay being distressed and venting, I can understand that. Panic attacks, like you are suffering from, can impair your functioning so I know with everything going on in your life this just adds more pressure to you. I would definitely recommend that you go to your doctor/psychiatrist and ask for a solid medication regimen to lessen these panic attacks...the use of a benzodiazepine like Klonopin, Ativan, or Xanax can stop the symptoms of a Panic Attack within 30-60 minutes of ingestion, so this medication can help you to get through your dissertation and other stressors in your life currently. But the use of a benzodiazepine would not be a long-term solution.

If you really want something to at least take the edge of somewhat, you can purchase natural supplements of Valerian Root and Picamilon which can significantly lessen your anxiety and panic symptoms, but of course these are not as strong as the prescription medications, still they may help you.