Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

I feel that i may never be happy, no matter what drugs or

Customer Question

I feel that i may never be happy, no matter what drugs or therapy I receive.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, what is your specific mental health question that you would like an answer to in regards ***** ***** situation?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Like I said on my original posted statement I feel that I may never become happy. I've tried years of therapy and psychiatric medicine but I they did not provide me with good result. They just helped me be functional on a day to day basis. But now that I contemplate I feel that I may really never become happy, like when I try to imagine a situation where it might make me happy, nothing really comes to mind. If I were presented with a magic wand, I doubt that I could provide with the things that might make me truly happy, ever. This really scares me, because I feel like there is no direction for me to take, because I don't even have a vague idea what it is that might make me happy so that I can go after THAT. My questions is, I have tried many different paths, why did I not have an "ah-ha" moment that this is what I need to do to feel happy. If my problem's been a medical condition or lack of therapy, I've tried both for years though on and off, why have neither of them helped me either? I mean I feel so scared and trapped because I don's know what to do!
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.

Psychotropic medications are not an exact science unfortunately so sometimes there are some trial and error approaches to get the right medication and dosage that will work for you with little to no side effects. For some people the respond great to certain medications and for others they do not respond at all and that is because our body chemistries are different. So because you may not have responded to some medications, does not mean all the medications will not work. You may have something called treatment resistant depression and this is where you are going to need to consider more intensive measures for treatment. Your doctor could prescribe a psychostimulant like Modafinil, Adderall, or Ritalin as these have been shown to be very effective as a secondary antidepressant. Lamotrigine has also shown to be helpful in lessening resistant depresssive symptoms. If medications are not going to work than your doctor should consider Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), IV Ketamine, or Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) for treatment.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm just frustrated because I've lost my faith in psychiatric medications. How long would you say I'd have to wait to see the effects of new medications and for the side effects to wear off?I've realized that I have a lot of anger. What should I do with this anger? The sources of my anger are all over the place and pop up on a daily basis. What I mean is that I'm a sensitive person and when something angers me, it make me see red. what I mean is that it's not something that builds up slowly so that i can recognize it and deal with before it gets worse. Physiologically I react very fast and it's very hard for me stop it before it gets more intense. Now, I usually use a lot of cuss words in my head at the source of my anger, but I don't express it outwardly to the source. But if I'm in a situation where I try to state my case, I become defensive and raise my voice without realizing it, and It's really bad because I end up scaring people or pushing them away. This has effected my self- confidence, because I'm always afraid of people abandoning me, so I'm always nervous on the inside when trying to discuss matters with people because of that fear of being judged or abandoned. How can I get myself to chill out and not take EVERYTHING so seriously, or let go of trivial issues. Everything seems likes matter of life or death to me, and I Know that a lot of this have to do with the type of childhood I had, growing up fearing that I might loose my family, etc.How long can this Q&A go on?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.

It sounds like the anger is probably related to your underlying mood disorder. The medications usually would take a few weeks to determine if they are effective for you or not as you also have to build up the dose, so I would recommend discussing the use of a psychostimulant for you to help you overcome these symptoms.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will look into that. How does this website work? How many questions can we ask and over what period of time?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.

Typically you get one query per question thread so typically you can ask a reasonable amount of questions on the same topic