Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

I'm having a bit of a bit of a panic attack just trying to

Customer Question

I'm having a bit of a bit of a panic attack just trying to use this. I want to try to get help, but every time I try to open up to my family I start to feel ashamed or I stop trusting the doctor. i'm also afraid that depending on what diagnosis I recieve it might upset my parents or somehow cause them to disown me. I saw my best friend get disowned when he came out to them, and my parents are even more judgemental when it comes to sexuality, drugs, religion, ect. (living in the south also predisposes me to think that everyone judges me on a regular basis considering my life.) I'm bi, something I struggled with for a few years(I had ingrained in me that homos are going to hell, worst of the worst, ect.), but I now love and accept that part of me, but I can never share that with them. that is just part of who I am, much like much like how I know I either have bipolar or bpd(or a combo, I really don't know). I've been depressed a few times in my life(months at a time, or less), I love indulging in drugs(they help shut emotions and thoughts off, but by no means do they control my life), frequently I get these spikes of anger out of the blue and end up hurting(emotionally) friends, family some. I'm at least able to think clearly atm, and that only happens every once in a while(comes and goes(usually when I'm not depressed)), but when I'm not dpressed I feel a little crazier so it's not much better. I've been struggling with this and I want help, but I'm downright scared of what I might find out.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Unfortunately it would be unethical to diagnose someone over the internet, but right now you have to focus on getting a good hard diagnosis to explain your symptoms and then focus on treatment. While what your family may think can be difficult, but you have to focus on your own well being at this point and moving forward. If you just stay like this than your symptoms will unfortunately worsen and become more and more ingrained which will cause difficulties in your overall treatment. The earlier you can receive treatment the better for you. Right now try not to focus on what everyone else will think or even about the future because the future is unwritten, you only have control of the here and now, so what you do in the present is all that matters, which is why you need to seek out treatment as soon as you can

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Guess I expected to get a different answer
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.

What were you expecting exactly?