Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

Awhile back I was at a job I loved and was good at. I

Customer Question

Awhile back I was at a job I loved and was good at. I started to get help for depression. A series of poorly timed absences and attempts to return to work let me on forced unpaid sick leave and eventualy termination. When I was first kept out of the workplace (which the union is grieving due to discrimination) I felt abandoned, like less of a person. I got angry and frustrated. I tried a little too hard to try to contact work friends for support, may have sent poorly worded emails etc etc. Stupid decisions that I would not make if I was myself. It's not a personality disorder but it's like I became the worst version of myself due to the frustration and stress and the potential loss of everything with no support or financial stability.
With arbitration approaching and the thought of having to sit through hearings and testimonies of all the crap is worsening the stress and depression. I dread having to sit through that because it wasn't me, not the person I actually am.
I want to get my life back and I think I've finally accepted that I was not in a good mental health state. I need to address that in order to help my chances of a successful arbitration outcome and return to my normal life.
Can all that self destructive behaviour be rooted in severe depression? Is it fair to say (and finally) admit that I had a medical condition that may have provoked the behaviour? And would a doctor ever diagnose that and subsequently provide documentation to that fact so that I can move forward?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, how was your sleeping and eating habits during this depressive episode? Also would you say that you are anxious and worried, along with the depression? Lastly when did these symptoms start for you; how old were you exactly?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have been taking something to sleep most nights otherwise I'm anxious and can't shut my mind off. I don't eat well and have just been eating for the sake of eating. I'd say I was probably in high school when it started slowly, but due to all the circumstance of the last year and a bit it's become 100 times worse.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your response. So it is definitely possible that a mood disorder, such as depression, as well as a co-occurring anxiety disorder can cause self-destructive behavior and cause a person to act in a manner they would normally not act like. Mood disorders and Anxiety can cause cognitive changes which affect your reasoning and deduction abilities, so this can cause you to make poor decisions. So to answer your question, yes a mental health disorder can be diagnosed to have caused this behavior.

A psychologist or a psychiatrist can easily diagnose depression, anxiety, or any other type of mental health disorder that could have caused this behavior. Typically a thorough clinical interview and background would be enough to cement a documented diagnosis, but it would require you to go to a psychologist or a psychiatrist for such an assessment. In some cases, usually a psychologist, will provide a paper and pencil test that can provide a more indepth look at your symptoms and psychopathology to better understand you and your mental health disorders that are present.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns as I would be happy to continue assisting you regarding this issue.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I would hate for this to be viewed as trying to find a way out. I would never want to appear demanding in terms of obtaining a diagnosis or documentation ASAP for a quickly approaching arbitration.
If anything, I think I've finally come to terms with the fact that maybe I need help then. I was stupid not to ask and will accept help moving forward. But I need to own up to that and admit it and have someone help me prove that so I can move forward successfully.
Do you think it would be viewed as anything but a sudden self acceptance? Can things be diagnosed or suggested after the fact without waiting for a long period of treatment and evaluation? I suppose it might be similar to a psych evaluation after someone commits a crime.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.

Yes diagnoses can occur after the fact with a careful background, clinical interview, and assessment. If the symptoms have been resolved than you may only get a diagnosis like "Major Depressive Disorder In Remission" which means that at one point you may have suffered from a Major Depressive Disorder, but it is currently not prominent and hence in remission. I cannot factually tell you if this will only be viewed as a "sudden self-acceptance" as I am not privy to all the fact in this case, I can only tell you that a mental health disorder could very well cause the behavior you described and can be diagnosed retroactively

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.

Was there anything else, I can assist you with?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. It's helpful to know my period of not being my best version may have actually been accurate. It's not me and there may be a medical reason for it. And the fact that proof could be obtained and that theory could be supported makes the upcoming battle a little less daunting.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.

You are most welcome. I truly wish you all the best moving forward.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.