Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I have started binge eating after months of dieting and

Customer Question

I have started binge eating after months of dieting and exercising. Usually i get this under control but the past week has been terrible. How do i start to control this
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 8 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Binge eating is considered a serious eating disorder, so if you truly are exhibiting symptoms of this than you should consider therapy, primarily one focused on using Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) techniques to help you better control the underlying causes of your binge eating. Individual and Group therapy for eating disorders has been shown to have a good long-lasting impact on the treatment of all eating disorders, especially Binge Eating. In addition, a medication called Vyvanse has recently been approved to treat binge eating as well, so this may be an option for you as well.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I know but i've always had it under control except this time
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 8 months ago.

You may have had it under control for a period of time, but eating disorders eventually will start to overwhelm an individual and that may be what you are experiencing here. You should consider treatment before this gets worse.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's very time consuming for me to seek CBT, and it's having an effect on my studies. Is there any other way i can do it by mysel
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 8 months ago.

Unfortunately this is not a treatment website, this is only a Q&A website. So doing it yourself is not an option for you. It would be better for you if you took the time to undergo treatment.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 8 months ago.

You are most welcome. I wish you all the best.