Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

There is a woman who I've been dating off and on the last 4

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: So there is a woman who I've been dating off and on the last 4 months and about 2 months ago she tells me she's pregnant and that it's mine. However I have severe doubts, she has become distant, won't allow me to go to any of the doctor appointment, won't allow me to go to her apartment to just hang out with her, doesn't want to go out for lunch or dinner, nothing. Always seems to have an excuse as to why not to all the above mentioned. If she was really pregnant with my child why would she keep me so distant from everything? I'll admit I take care of her financially, is it possible that she's keeping me so distant becuase she's afraid I'll find out it's not my child she's pregnant with somehow? If she isn't pregnant with my child then why pin it on me and not on who the actual father really would be? She's 29 years old and she was a former dancer at a night club, I'm 30 and relatively successful for my age. She tells me she loves me and all of that but never seems to want to see me. I do talk to her daily on the phone I'll say that but it's about it. Is she just trying to trap me becuase of my financial capabilities? She's always calling to make sure I'm not "hanging out" with other women becuase she tells me that "I'm here for the long haul even though things are not working out right now" always tells me that "she pregnant with my baby and I need to be a real man and take care of her financially" I'm at a loss for what to think.
JA: The Psychologist will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: Nope
JA: Our top Psychologist is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Psychologist in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Psychologist until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Obviously I cannot tell you if this child is yours or not, but I would definitely be cautious and skeptical that it is yours considering her behavior. Lets take a look as some of her behavior, it sounds like she contacts you on a regular basis which expresses familiarity and wants to be with you, but when it comes to the unborn child she keeps you at a lengthy distance and does not provide a lot of details. Usually a person would be more forthcoming about their unborn child to the father, especially if they want to have a relationship with that man. If she is lying about you being the father it could be because you are a good catch compared to other men she may have slept with and would rather have you raise the child as your own even if it is not yours. There is potentially the financial responsibility and she wants that child support as well. Or the last possibility is that you could be the father, but so could another man or men and she is hoping that it is you so that is why she is telling you that you are the father. Her behavior does lead to doubt and speculation and all of these possibilities could be a reason for that behavior in my professional opinion.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns as I would be happy to continue assisting you regarding this issue.