Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

My job, among other things are stressing me out. Usually I

Customer Question

My job, among other things are stressing me out. Usually I don't get stressed, but because this has lingered on for so long, it's taking a toll on me.
I've worked at my job for a year now. It's been a blessing. My first six figure job. I'm able to take care of myself, my family and also fund my growing business. The past 7 months, my father has been in and out of the hospital. That took a toll on me, escpecially because I am his only child. I work in another state and constantly drove back and forth every day to see him. Besides that, my job is very demanding and I felt at that time that I had no time to breathe or time for myself.
Since the new year began, I have not been feeling like working. I have not had energy or enthusiasm to work and I don't like my job like I once did. My managers are demanding and though I produce and do a good job, it's hard to keep up. I feel like I'm slacking.
Besides that, my dream is to run my business full time. I told myself if I worked until 2018, I could have enough money saved and my business would be in a position to allow me to work solely for myself without my job. I'm not sure if I can wait that long anymore. I need something else and fast.
Besides that, I'm turning 30 in 16 days and I think I'm having a nervous breakdown. I told my bestfriend and she basically told me "we're all stressed so deal with it". We also work together. I told my boyfriend and he doesn't have anything to say. He pretends I'm not stressed and I'm find. I'm assuming he doesn't know how to handle that.
I really have no one to talk to. You're my only option. I've talked to God and He recommended I talk to you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that you are this stressed, I can understand why it would be taking a toll on you. Because this is not a treatment website, have you considered going to your doctor for medication to help lessen your stress/anxiety or possibly asking for a referral to see a psychologist for therapy?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have however I was hoping for other alternatives before going down that path.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.

You can try natural supplements like Valerian Root, Passion Flower, Picamilon, or KAVA as these have good anti-anxiety properties and may be enough to help you with your symptoms. Also these are two of the most effective relaxation exercises that can help lower stress levels as well:

But if you feel your anxiety/stress is still overwhelming than you may need to start individual therapy and/or start on a psychotropic medication