Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I have constant symptoms of hurting myself and others. I see

Customer Question

i have constant symptoms of hurting myself and others. I see images of animals, guns, thoughts of stabbing i curently am on anafranil 100mg. it has been diagnosed as harm ocd but im worried im psychotic. it feels like im always a minute away from acting on the behavior. The symptoms started during my first pregnancy. I always think im gonna do something illegal
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. You are not psychotic since you have exhibited signs of hallucinations, delusions, or disorganized thinking. Instead I would agree that you most likely are suffering from Harm OCD based on the repetitive and intrusive thoughts of harming one's self and others. You need to talk to your doctor immediately about increasing your dose of the Anafranil or adding an adjunct as your symptoms are still very much present and need to be lessened very soon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do.u think I need an mRI of brain and what can harm of change to psychosis
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

No a brain scan will not tell you anything. You do not have a psychotic disorder as we have discussed this before, you have Harm OCD and you need to treat it as such.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I always get thoughts that I'm gonna call people or go into their house and I'm not sure where the thoughts come from
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

The thoughts come from your OCD which is why you need to treat it with a higher dose of the Anafranil or adding an adjunct.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why does Ocd make you think about going into people's houses
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

There really is no why, it is just part of your disorder. Instead of thinking of the why, focus on treatment. If you had cancer you would not focus on the why, you would focus on treatment. So it would be best to stop enabling your OCD and instead increase your medication dose it add an adjunct.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand why the thoughts don't make any sense
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Just focus on treatment and talk to your doctor about the medication adjustment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes I get pictures of various things and it seems like I'm really seeing them is that part of ocd
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It feels like my behavior will go erratic like I always think I'm gonna go in a place with a gun
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

This is typical of Harm OCD. Once again you need to focus on treating this...talk to your doctor about adjusting your medication.