Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.

I have severe bipolar depression. My German doctor

Customer Question

I have severe bipolar depression. My German doctor prescribed me 1mg night and morning. My German do doctor prescribed me 5mg night and moring.
Who do I believe?
Paul StTropez France
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, what medication are you referring to exactly because you just mentioned being prescribed either 1mg or 5mg, but you did not put the name of the medication you are referring to?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ativan or Lorezepam
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your response. 5mg is very high for Lorazepam (Ativan), so it would be best to start off on 1mg twice a day as that is a more moderate dose. Lorazepam is an addictive medication, so it is always best to start off on the lower doses so that you do not abuse the medication. Now if you meant to write 0.5mg twice a day of the Lorazepam than that is a different story as I would recommend the 0.5mg dosing schedule because as I said before it is always better to try the lowest possible dose first and then gradually increase it to see how much you need to help you and provide relief of your symptoms.

I hope this helps to provide you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns as I would be happy to continue assisting you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.