Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Experience:  LMSW, CASAC
90967183

Boy - (Adolescent Years) - No Father (Role Model)

Customer Question

Boy - (Adolescent Years) - No Father (Role Model) Consequences of a boy not getting time with father during adolescent years. (father as a role model, absence of a role model, etc... What are the most likely scenarios? (I know they are not good)

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 9 months ago.

Hi there, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist/family therapist in New York state. Thank you for using Just Answer. There are many good books written about the impact of not having a male role model in a young males life. One of them is called Iron Man by Robert Bly that discussed what men want and need from other males. Also, an expansive 5-year study of male children and teens conducted by the mentoring organization Big Brothers Big Sisters has brought the issue of boys needing positive male role models in their lives to light. According to the study results released by the organization in 2013, boys who grow up without positive male role models are more likely to use and abuse drugs and alcohol, are more prone to anger and violent behavior, are more apt to be affected and influenced by peer pressure, and are more likely to perform poorly in school. Further results of the study include additional eye-opening comparisons between boys raised with male mentors and those who were not:

• Boys with positive male role models are 2 times more likely than non-mentored boys to enjoy school and believe academic success is important.

• Boys with positive male role models have higher grades and better school attendance than boys without solid male role models.

• Boys with positive male role models are 2 times less likely than those lacking role models to bully, fight, lie, cheat, lose their tempers, or express anger.

Other studies comparing boys who have had strong male figures in their lives with those who did not, have uncovered additional meaningful findings. When boys have good male role models in their lives they have better relationships with their brothers and sisters and with their parent(s). Also, mentored boys are more secure, more self-confident, more empathetic, and more successful.

However, not having a father or positive male figure in a boy's life does not have to be a predictor of poor behavior or choices in a young male's life. There are other environmental factors that could compensate, such as building self respect and competence through playing sports, joining clubs where there is healthy competition such as chess clubs, etc. Please let me know if this helps and if I could answer any further questions. Sincerely, Linda

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thanks.

Could I also get couple of links to articles? Two or three would be sufficient.

Expert:  Linda D. replied 9 months ago.

Hi there, yes, I can do that for you. I will give you journal articles in case you are doing this for research. It will take me a few minutes. Linda

Expert:  Linda D. replied 9 months ago.

I am thinking you may be doing research on the issue of fatherlessness among male adolescents so I am giving you resources that will be useful for this purpose:

This first one is a doctoral dissertation and at the end of the study, offers many journal articles, etc. that were referenced in the study that may be helpful to you.

1). http://digitalcommons.liberty.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1960&context=doctoral

These next two web sites are a great resource for this topic as well:

2). http://www.fathers.com/statistics-and-research/the-extent-of-fatherlessness/

3). http://goodmenproject.com/

4). the effect of absent father on delinquency in young males

I hope what I have provided for you meets your needs. If there is anything else I can do to help you, please let me know. I wish you all the best, Linda

Expert:  Linda D. replied 8 months ago.

I would truly appreciate it if you would take a moment and rate my service to you so that i may recieve credit for the help I have given you. Thank you, Linda