Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I feel really depressed right now, I'm in karate but I

Customer Question

I feel really depressed right now
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm in karate but I haven't had any time to practice because of school and work for like over a year now and I feel like it shows. I feel like everyone just thinks that I suck and don't deserve a black belt and my acne makes me look ugly. Plus I've still been so mad at my mom for the past 2 years because of the divorce and all the emotional abide I endured my whole life. I feel like I'm doomed to forever have low self esteem and just become her. I feel like I should just kill myself now and save myself and everyone around me a lifetime of misery.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mental Health Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am sorry that you are feeling very depressed right now, have you considered undergoing any psychological treatment (e.g. therapy and/or medications)? Also if you are truly having ideations of suicide, please go immediately to the ER or contact 911. And because you did not pose a question, what is your specific mental health question that you would like an answer to in regards ***** ***** situation?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I've been to many therapists for anxiety and depression but they always come back. Can I actually fix my low self esteem or am I stuck being this way forever?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I feel like I've always had low confidence and self esteem and that I don't entirely know how to just be happy.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

You can "fix" and treat this issue with the proper therapeutic intervention and typically that is with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). CBT has a premise that your symptoms are caused by negative thoughts, so if we change your thought process to be more positive and objective, then your symptoms will lessen as well. But in some cases therapy alone is not enough, so you may need to ask your doctor to start you on a SSRI antidepressant like Lexapro or Zoloft which can help to improve your self-esteem and help increase the effectiveness of CBT therapy.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm hesitant to take medication because I know my mom was on antidepressants and they didn't help her. Plus I'm scared of feeling like my happiness is dependent upon a pill.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

I can understand that, you can consider taking natural supplements like St. Johns Wort and Omega-3 which can help as well. Ultimately you should try the CBT therapy, but like I said before if therapy alone is not effective than the use of medication may be needed as your self-esteem/depression may be more severe to which therapy can only do so much.