Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

My 13 yr old son lives in an fantasy world. He does have an

Customer Question

My 13 yr old son lives in an fantasy world. He does have an behavioral problem, but he just lies unnecessary. Ex. If he goes fishing, he will claim he killed an rattle snake or alligator and in his mind he really believes this is what he is doing. So I don't see what he see so I don't know what to do
JA: When you start doubting if you are seeing the world in the same way as everyone else it's time to talk to out Expert - or go live on a desert island. Is there anything else the Psychologist should be aware of?
Customer: He's very curious about the world the good and the bad he think he sees demons or ghost, when he gets angry he inflict pain only on himself not others but at school he's an average kid with no behavioral problem at all kids and teachers love him so I don't know what to make of this
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Psychologist about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I can understand how this can be distressing for you regarding your son. If your son actually believes these lies as being true than it could be a sign of a delusion, which is basically a fixed false belief meaning that no matter what you say contrary to his belief or what evidence you provide that it did not happen he will still not believe it. Now the other possibility is that he may have a depressive disorder or a low self-esteem that he hides well, but copes with by lying to make himself feel more special or important. Either way, have you considered having your son be seen by a Psychologist or Psychiatrist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Than you and your son should work with the mental health professional on treatment for this issue to help your son stop these elaborate lies or if they are delusions than he would need to be medicated. A psychologist or psychiatrist would be able to differentiate between the two with a face to face assessment, but I am leaning towards that he knows they are lies and that he tells them or believes them to inflate his low self-esteem as that is more common given his age.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I am not set up for a phone call at this time, but I can answer any further questions you have in this Q&A.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I will be online for a few more hours if you have any further questions I can assist you with