Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

If a person has a drug problem, specifically "meth".What

Customer Question

If a person has a drug problem, specifically "meth".What should be prescribed to curb cravings and live a normal life?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Typically a prescription medication is not used as a monotherapy for treating addiction issues. If one would have an addiction problem with methamphetamine that the antidepressant Wellbutrin would be a first choice, alone with a benzodiazepine for anxiety/stress, and Dual Diagnosis therapy to help treat the addiction and the underlying causes of said addiction. Wellbutin would be a first choice because it increases Dopamine levels like Methamphetamine does, but if Wellbutrin does not work than any other SSRI antidepressant can be tried to see if they benefit the individual.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns as I would be happy to continue assisting you regarding this issue

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 8 months ago.

Hello again, I have not heard from you in a couple days, I was wondering if you still have any questions you would like to ask? If not, then I would hope that you can kindly rate me for my services s that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you.