Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I suffer from schizophrenia and generalised anxiety

Customer Question

I suffer from schizophrenia and generalised anxiety disorder, as a consequence I take 17 multivitamins a day and increasing as I'm quite anxious to relieve my symptoms as schizophrenia is not nice. Some of the 17 multivitamins are repeat so 4 of them are omega 3, 6 niacin, 6 vitamin c etc. Do you think this amount is a cause for concern or do you think it is appropriate given the situation. I'm hoping to at least continue on with this amount for the next few months while I'm busy do you think I will be ok for this amount of time or do you think I should see my doctor and get tests, if so what tests. Also I'm on risperidone, pregabalin and trazodone. Also I'm going to be adding glycine to the 17 multivitamins shortly. My blood pressure is fine. What are your specific worries do you think my kidneys or liver might be working abit to hard?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

Hello again. Most of the vitamins you are taking are fine except I would be concerned regarding the niacin as this can interact with Risperidone and Trazodone, so in that area you can consider a liver function test if you want to be absolutely reassured. Overall your medication regimen and vitamin supplements appear to be fine with no major worries so you should be able to continue them with no difficulties. Can you tell me the doses of your medications to make sure, but overall I do not think you have anything to worry about regarding your liver and kidneys

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Risperidone 6mg, pregabalin 450mg, trazodone 150mg. The multivitamins I take are 4g of omega 3, 3G of niacin, 6g of vitamin c, 2 astaxanthin, 1000mcg of vitamin b12, 1600mcg of folic acid. So you think there may be a problem with niacin, that's a shame I need niacin, if I get a liver function test done and it comes back fine can I continue with niacin. Also I have a question about psychotic depression, can it come and go on a daily basis, like a few days ago I felt truly terrible, it wasn't usual depression and then I had a sleep and now I feel ok, is psychotic depression continual over a long period. This has happened a few times, one day really bad then ok for a few weeks. Also should I get this treated if it is psychotic depression or can I just ignore it as most of the time I'm ok. I'm on trazodone anyway is there anything more they can really do for me? The reason why I think it's psychotic depression is I jus have massive levels of despair and feelings of depression mixed with very alar range temporary delusions to say the least. What do you think?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

For psychotic depression I would recommend trying Lamotrogine as this is an effective mood stabilizer that will not interact with your current medications. Also if the liver function test is normal than yes you can continue with the niacin

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

I hope this helps to provide you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns as I would be happy to continue assisting you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.