Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

T know how to separate myself from a relationship that is

Customer Question

Hi don't know how to separate myself from a relationship that is not working for us. I have ptsd from bad relationships before . I have memory lapses when it comes to things I can't deal with . I feel inadequate to get help because I've been treated very bad because alot of people think that you have to see people die in wars to get ptsd. Just now I rink I realize WHy my memory so bad. Do you think if one has no hope of of thriving on life or if a person with ptsd feels like they turn everything bad with who they are as a person or they will never find anyone to relate to. Do you think it could be such deep pain that I don't remember anything even 5minutes after I lose something and I can be looking right at it and not see it then wonder what am I doing right now?. I'm 44 years old and want to have memorizes . I want to be in control of my subconscious . Ian's know what happens. What should I do please and thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Are you currently in treatment for your PTSD or have you ever been in treatment for PTSD before?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

You may want to consider continuing with your therapy or perhaps trying something new in therapy like Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) to help you overcome these cognitive effects from your PTSD. In addition, the use of a benzodiazepine has been shown to be successful in helping lessen any dissociation with PTSD, so this can improve your cognition too. So I would discuss with your doctor about these treatments to help you overcome your current psychological and cognitive issues.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I've been diagnosed by 3 professionals who say ptsd definitely . I've started emir therapy and never actually started even though I went to many hour and a half appointments. I don't think maybe he was qualified. I couldn't find a comfortable safe place to imagine I was at and safe. Every safe place a would come up with a would have intrusive memories that we're bad and I had to start to find another date place. One day he told me everyone felt better after his emir therapy. I couldn't be the first one who didn't . That would mean failure and that is something I can't do again(failure)
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

Than you should get on a good medication regimen for yourself first to help lessen your symptoms so that you can go through with therapy.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just started going to mental health 4 years ago and they gave me Ssi I 3 months after I applied. So I guess it was proven pretty easy that this is real for me. Any way how do I decide who to talk to at mental health. I get so discouraged and really feel that the people I talk to don't c care or most the time that they don't believe me. My friend said I need to feel safety and trust before we start the deep threropy. Is this true. This therapist said so why are you here?r the next. Day after I spilled my deepest hurts to.I mean I was uncontrollable crying getting caught up in story like it happened yesterday. And to me he couldn't feel my pain. Didn't know why I was rhere
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He doesn't work there anymore maybe other props. I keep forgetting when my appointment are
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

I think it would be better to start you on a medication regimen to help control your symptoms and to stabilize you before you start therapy. In therapy trust builds over time, so you cannot expect to be fully trusting right away. I would recommend that you see a psychiatrist to help manage your symptoms with psychotropic medications and then when you stabilize you will be more in control of your emotions and be able to not lose control in therapy.