Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

My 38 yr old son is a verbally abusive alcoholic. He has

Customer Question

My 38 yr old son is a verbally abusive alcoholic. He has been in and out of detox and a high dollar rehab facility; he's been tazed and arrested, lost 3 jobs and 2 roommates. He takes threads of truth, builds his own story and tries desperately to cause chaos and despair to everyone he knows, because he feels his alcoholism is everyone else fault. His antics and outrageous treatment of those who care about him have gone so far over the line, I do not believe I would ever want to speak with him again; each apology has been followed with antics more outrageous than the one before...He has completely broken my trust and yesterday began reiterating (again) all the hatred he feels for me, foul name-calling and actually mentioned matricide. If I were to contact police, it may cause bigger issues for him than he's currently made for himself and I certainly do not want to exacerbate the problem; but, I am uncertain if he would actually spiral into a place where he would truly try to kill me. What should I do?
JA: OK. The Psychologist will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: Well, it's a huge mess...but I think I got my basic concerns in there...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Psychologist about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that your son's behavior is so problematic to the point that it appears treatment would not be very effective for him. You worry about your son being physically violent to you, were some of his run ins with the police because of physical violence? Has he ever been physically violent with you in the past? Does he harm people, property, or both if he is physically violent?