Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I have OCD, Bipolar and maybe PTSD. Ive managed to live a

Customer Question

I have OCD, Bipolar and maybe PTSD. Ive managed to live a relatively normal life (to outsiders), but now I have a new (1 year) symptom: I scream very loudly, whenever someone speaks to me in a normal voice, or touches me when I do not expect it. If I see or hear the person approaching I do not scream. It's the element of surprise that makes me scream.
I have NO control of these screams. They can happen in public places, like the supermarket, but happen most frequently in my own house, when my husband walks in the room and I don't hear him approaching. When he speaks I scream at the top of my lungs. But it's getting worse, because now I scream 2 or 3 times. This leaves me tired and nervous.
Sometimes he wears a bell on his sandals. this works well, but he doesn't do it al the time. It's not that important to him.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. What you are describing is called hypervigilance and it is most commonly associated with PTSD. Basically you are on high alert for anything, so when the simple act of touching you or speaking to you when you do not expect it can trigger a major anxiety and fear response, which is why you scream. May I ask, besides the medications are you currently in therapy at all?