Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I've taken pretty much all of the SSRI and some worked, been

Customer Question

I've taken pretty much all of the SSRI and some worked for awhile, been on Pristiq 100 MG for a year and 50 MG for 5 years prior. The 100 Mgs for the past year has really done very little for my depression , so now my PDoc stated that I needed something stronger, so hence he prescribed Cymbalta, tapering off from 100Mg to 50 MG of pristique daily and taking 30 mgs with the 50 mg of Cymbalta daily for the past 4 days, effects are too early but I did notice alot of anxiety, mood has not changed although I'm working and concentrating fine. I then will go to after a week to 60 mgs of Cymbalta and no pristiq which is no big deal because pristiq no longer was working even at the higher level. My eating and sleeping is ok, but zero motivation to do anything I used to like doing, I'm not hopeless but I'm worried if this does not work for me. I do not want to go into a severe depression like I did 27 years ago. Is what I'm doing considered good advice?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I've had anxiety disorder and depression off and on since I was a teenager. No drugs, no smoking, been through CBT several times, maybe need to go back to that as well? Not sure. I'm 57 and have a good life just cannot seem to get any pleasure from it on a continual basis.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mental Health Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.It is still too early to tell if Cymbalta will be an effective medication for you or not; I know you are worried, but the protocol would be to continue being patient until this medication reaches full effectiveness. Typically it will take Cymbalta 6-8 weeks to reach full effectiveness and also the dose can be increased to a maximum of 120mg, so you have not yet maxed out on the dose of this medication either.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.