Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

When I look at all the suffering in the world and my family

Customer Question

When I look at all the suffering in the world and my family I get really depressed.
An uncle being diagnosed with schizo-effective disorder is causing me a lot of distress b/c I know his life is always going to be pretty miserable. I also look at paralyzed people and get depressed too.
What distorted thought is causing me to get depressed over this? How can I be empathetic but at the same time not let other's suffering control my happiness? How can there be a God with all of this suffering?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I understand that there have been some negative situations that you have been exposed to and this is fueling your depression, but you have to understand that you are not seeing the big picture and instead you are focusing on these negative thoughts too much. A good treatment for you would be Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). CBT has a premise that your symptoms are caused by negative thoughts, so if we change your thought process to be more positive and objective, then your symptoms will lessen as well. Yes there is negative in the world, as that is just reality, but there are also a lot of positives in this world as well that you have to take into account and if you can do that than your depressive symptoms will also lessen. I would recommend considering entering into CBT therapy to help you overcome this depression and move forward from it.