Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I seem to be in love with a memory of my ex, but it's when

Customer Question

I seem to be in love with a memory of my ex, but it's when he was in his teenage years, and that was 40 years ago; is this normal? It seems that I am the only one that has this condition. It seems I can't get passed that time in his life. What is this condition called?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. So far what you are describing is not a mental health condition/disorder, it is just you fixated on one point of time about your ex that probably made you happy or a part of his life that you may have idealized. This is not uncommon as many people try to focus on singular moments from their past without taking toll of the whole picture. If you are only doing this with one of your ex-partners and not all of your ex partners than you are not fixated on men in their younger years and instead some aspect of this man's younger years speaks to you and that is wh you are focused on it. Again this is not a mental health condition or a disorder, it is just an aspect of your psyche.