Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I cant get my 50 year old daughter to get help. Claims she

Customer Question

I cant get my 50 year old daughter to get help. Claims she has fleas growing in and on her body and is scratching to raw skin. Going on for7-8 months. I do not know what that condition is called or what to do.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Your daughter could be exhibiting symptoms of Formication, which is basically a tactile hallucination where the individual feels like bugs are crawling under her skin or on the skin. May I ask, would you characterize your daughter is hurting herself by her scratching her whole body?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

If she is hurting herself than you could call 911 or take her to the ER to get involuntarily committed for psychiatric reasons where they will treat her and make sure she is safe. Other than this though, every other treatment option has to be voluntary...just like if you had a heart problem, the choice to see a cardiologist is up to you alone, same applies here unless you push for an involuntary commitment.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns as I would be happy to continue assisting you regarding this issue.