Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I'm writing a TV pilot script and an Officer is involved in

Customer Question

hello, I'm writing a TV pilot script and an Officer is involved in a shooting. Standard procedure is for him have have a psych eval. I was wondering if anyone knows the type of questions he would be asked or has experience in this area. thanks, Rick
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Typically psychological evaluation after an officer related shooting involves questions about how the officer felt during the time of the shooting and how he/she feels now (e.g. depression, trauma, sadness, anxiety, apathy, etc...). In addition, you want to ask how they are sleeping, eating, and going about their daily lives to see if there have been any significant changes. During the psychological evaluation, some questions will be focused on what happened before the shooting and if their day was frustrating or stressful, or if there were no abnormal events before the shooting. Overall a psychologist's job is not to see if the shooting was justified or not, but just to determine if they were thinking clearly at the time of the shooting and to see how the officer is responding after the shooting from a psychological stand point...basically determining if there is any presence of depression, regret, anxiety, nightmares, panic, etc...