Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I am 28 years old, successful in my work, but this is the

Customer Question

I am 28 years old, successful in my work, but this is the only area of my life that is thriving - I have pushed this "unstable" emotional life of my brain to the side whilst I have continuously focused on my work, never myself, this is now starting to effect my work in a negative way. My company sponsors me to be in Australia and going thru permanent visa. I'm afraid if I do not take care of this soon, this will effect more than my mood
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, what is your specific mental health question that you would like an answer to in regards ***** ***** situation?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just don't know if there is something wrong with me. Most of the time I think it's other people - but when I'm in the right frame of mind I know I'm the one with the issues
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

Have you considered entering into psychotherapy to help you better express your emotional side and better address these mood issues?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have been to a doctor and they just usher me out - makes me feel worse than before I went in - like my issues not important - or because I am not the usual case? I don't know but I feel like I have 0 support
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

Was this a medical doctor or a psychologist?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have a referral to see someone but I keep putting off as I am busy with work 100% of the time!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Psychiatrist
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It as a medical doctor I seen but I asked for referral to see he above
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

Psychiatrists typically do not provide therapy anymore as they are more focused on medication management. It would be best to find a psychologist/therapist in your area and start to devote around 45-50 minute sessions one day a week for the next few months. This type of systematic therapy/treatment will better help you to overcome these issues.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
but I don't have time to see these people - I just want to feel happy again
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I feel like after seeing the doctor on 3 seperate occasions - they act like my problems are nothing which just puts me off
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

Unfortunately you are going to need to make time if you want to feel better. Treatment is not a quick fix here and you need to devote the time and effort needed to overcome these issues with proper psychological support. I understand you are discouraged from seeing other doctors, but you did not go to the right specialist which is why you need a psychologist/therapist.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, I guess I just wanted to ask someone else than a GP if my problems are worthy enough - cause they make me feel like I should be 100% crazy in order to get help
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

You are definitely not crazy and your problem is real. Mental health problems cannot be outwardly seen but they are just as serious as medical problems, which is why seeing a psychologist/therapist to start undergoing systematic therapy will be very beneficial for you, but it takes time and effort to reach your goals so you cannot expect a quick fix

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok well I'll go to the GP again today as its Saturday (only time off) and see if they will listen
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Or direct me to right person
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

Well like I said you need to see a psychologist, so ask the GP to refer you to a psychologist.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

You are most welcome. I wish you all the best and I hope you feel better very soon.