Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I am a [Traditional] Catholic priest. My duties include

Customer Question

Hello:
I am a [Traditional] Catholic priest. My duties include teaching junior high/early high school students Logic and Religion. Of the nine students in the class, two are what might be termed "trouble-makers," and are hard to control. Both of these boys are difficult, but one of them is more charming and ingratiating.
Today, we were talking about Adam and Eve and that they were naked in the Garden of Eden. I said that the garments that were made for them (by God) indicated a certain shame that was not present before the Fall. Eating of the forbidden fruit made humanity ashamed of their bodies, etc.
The charming boy spoke up and said something like "Let's talk about something else," in a tone of voice that sounded very panicked and afraid. This took me by surprise since he's usually quite the jokester about everything. The other students giggled and turned red, which I thought was a "normal" reaction, but this child was clearly threatened by the topic. The other "trouble-maker" was absent today, but he reacts similarly whenever the discussion gets even close to something sexual.
I have picked up on this before in class, and I really don't understand this type of reaction. Could you help me out?
Thank you,
Fr. Gregory Safreed, OSF
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I understand that you are looking for "help" from what you stated, but as said before this is a Question and Answer website, so what is your specific mental health question that you would like an answer to in regards ***** ***** behavior by these adolescents?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Never mind
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

I understand. Good luck and if you change your mind you know where to find me.