Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I'm a 26 year old, Asian male. My mom used to constantly

Customer Question

I'm a 26 year old, Asian male. My mom used to constantly beat and berate me as a child. Don't get me wrong, I love her and I know she loves me.. she grew up in China, very poor, came out to America with my father and allowed me and my sister to live a great life. I just don't think she was very educated, growing up, so she didn't know any better. She used to beat and yell at me for the slightest of mistakes, like losing a pencil (you're an idiot, how could you lose a pencil, you lose everything, you're so dumb). I remember a few occasions where she used to drag me to the bathroom at restaurants (aunts, uncles, cousins, all present) and beat me in the bathroom. She beat me at family holidays, I remember my family getting into a major fight over it once and we left early. She told me she hated my dad, wanted a divorce, and asked if I loved her and would take care of her forever. Of course I responded yes, but I don't know. I moved out 5 years ago, and now I barely visit. I feel like I have psychological issues because of all this.
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What should I be looking out for? How can I get past this?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using just answer. May I ask have you ever considered undergoing psychotherapy to help you move forward?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Considered it. Never pursued it.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Feel like it would be a waste of time.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

This is unfortunately not a treatment website and only a Q&A service so if you truly want to move past these psychological issues I would recommend committing to a few months of therapy to help you move forward.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Understood. Was hoping you'd be able provide some sort of insight as a Mental Health Professional. Saw "Psychiatrist" and thought I'd give it a shot. How do I go about getting a refund?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

You can contact customer service. Therapy is a very delicate and indepth process so it takes time as it cannot be explained in just a Q&A service