Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

If you can offer some advice I will be most grateful. Here's

Customer Question

If you can offer some advice I will be most grateful. Here's the issue.
I am dealing with the issue of not bonding or trusting my therapist, she will be my tenth therapist during the times I've sought help. The therapists are always moving away and a couple out right dumped me. I've been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder this last time and a lot of other issues such as, PTSD, severe depression, anxiety depersonalization issues suicidal ideation, cutting, and dissociative identity disorder most recently and a host of symptoms. I was severely traumatized as a child til adulthood. I'm not sure how many we are yet, as I rely a lot on what a family member tells me I did or said. I'm so not wanting to trust another provider because it has taken years to come about the DID diagnosis. I want to get better but feel I'm not ever going to. I do not tell anyone about the littles for fear of being locked away in a facility. I was also tied and or chained when abused in past with satanic rituals performed while being violated. So there are extreme issues of abandonment as well as fear of being held against my will. I know I should stay in therapy but how can I find a good therapist that isn't going to move or drop me midway thru. The longest running time out of the last nine therapists has been about 16th months. It took eight months to tell what happened to me. Any advice on keeping and finding a good therapist?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that you are having this difficulty with finding and keeping a therapist, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. Obviously some psychologist/therapists move for different reasons and others will discontinue treatment for a patient if they feel they are not able to help the patient anymore and will try to refer the patient to another professional. As for what you can try to do to find a Psychologist/therapist that will work for you I would recommend finding one that has at least 10-15 years experience in the same private practice area or the same institution as this shows the psychologist/therapist leads a relatively stable work life and enjoys being in the area, and would not be wanting to move to a different practice. Also make sure the therapist/psychologist is around 40-50 years old as this is a good age for experience and also far away from retirement too. In addition, I would recommend working with a psychologist/therapist that has experience in Complex PTSD, personality disorders, and/or adults that have suffered childhood trauma as these psychologists/therapists realize the patient is not a "quick fix" and most likely will be seeking therapy for the long-term. Lastly I would recommend finding a Psychologist/Therapist that uses psychoanalysis as this is a long-term therapy modality and results are not expected as quickly as with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) so the psychologist/therapist would be planning to work with you for the long-term. Hopefully these criteria can help you find a psychologist/therapist that will stick around for a significant length of time and not discontinue or move away.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** be sure to look for these qualities in the future.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

You are most welcome. I wish you all the best with your continued treatment. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me at anytime as I am happy to assist you.