Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My name is ***** *****. I've been taking Lexotan few years,

Customer Question

Hi, My name is ***** *****. I've been taking Lexotan for a few years, not all the time only if I get stressed or anxious. They're out of stock and my doctor, perscribed Rivotril as a substitute..I see that can cause seizures..is this a good substitute? thanks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes, I take 10mg of Lexapro for mild depression..but if I get angry or upset about something I can't function properly and sometimes need a small dose of Lexotan..most of the time I can deal with small stuff..
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mental Health Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am not sure where you read that Rivotril can cause seizures, but in fact Rivotril (Clonazepam) is a suitable benzodiazepine like Lexotan and can be used as an anti-covulsant medication meaning is prevents seizures. The only way for Rivotril to cause a seizure would be if you took a moderate to high dose for a significant length of time and stopped the medication cold turkey…this same possibility of a seizure applies to the Lexotan as well. All benzodiazepines, including Lexotan and Rivotril, are physically addictive medications and can cause seizures if stopped abruptly as it is considered a withdrawal effect. So overall Rivotril is definitely a good substitute from your Lexotan.

I hope this helps to provide you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns as I would be happy to continue assisting you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.