Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I'm trying to research egocentrism in adults (Not children

Customer Question

I'm trying to research
egocentrism in adults
(Not children or adolescents)including, how it presents, mechanisms, causes and most importantly proven successful interventions for reducing it.I the field of adult egocentrism,
- who are the recognised authorities?
- what books or papers are good?
Thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Well Egocentrism has not been a popular topic of research for the last 20-30 years, so most of the relevant research was really done in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. With that being said some lead researchers in this would be James Peters Phd, Edward Royzman PhD, David Elkind PhD, ***** *****dler PhD, William Looft, PhD, Sidney Blatt PhD, Frances Aboud PhD, and Kenneth Rubin PhD. I am not aware of any books on this subject, but if you search for these authors I am sure you will be able to find a number of journal articles on the subject.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Why has it fallen out of favour as a research topic? Is it now clearly defined to everyone's satisfaction or has it fallen out of favour as a useful concept/approach? Or ...?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Mostly it has fallen out of favor as a theoretical topic that has relatively no relevance in developmental psychology.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what area now covers the ground where an adult X is (MUCH more than the norm) so locked into her own perspective in a wide range of social situations that she
- deeply believes that her perspective defines the truth
- does not recognise that other people have quite different perspectives on the 'same situation'Some examples - from lots and frequently recurring - could be as diverse as
- X repeatedly asking a companion to put on warm clothes (because X is cold) even though the companion repeatedly explains that they are warm
- X becoming angry about a situation (where X does not have first hand knowledge) based on X's misunderstanding. Then X being so locked into that perspective that X totally disrespectfully ***** ***** attempts of a person with first hand knowledge of the situation to provide additional clarifying info
- X berating a speaker in public, having decided that some aspect of the speaker's conduct violated some internal 'should' of X, without taking into account the likely embarrassment for the speaker or audience
- X telling others how they will have experienced and event, rather than asking (eg 'You will have had a wonderful day with your mum yesterday.' And not e.g. 'How did you get on with your mum yesterday?'
- ...
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

It could be traits of a personality disorder that would cover that, but without a face to face evaluation it not be possible for me to make any determinations

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought that my question would be directed to an expert in egocentrism.What happens now?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

If you have any more questions you are more than welcome to ask them as I am happy to continue assisting you on this topic.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My expectations have not been met. And I do not have confidence that they will be. It does not appear that my questions overlap your specialist knowledge
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry you feel that way. You are more than welcome to keep discussing this question with me if you like when you are ready, but truthfully you are asking about a concept that has fallen out of favor in the last 20-30 years. Good luck to you and I wish you all the best with your research.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A final question - how do I ensure I am not billed for this interaction ?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

You can contact customer service regarding that. Experts have no access to the financial dealings on this website. As a professional, I would suggest that you start to look at traits of personality disorders like Narcissistic Personality Disorder and Antisocial Personality Disorder to find what you are looking for as there is much more empirical backing for your research. Good luck