Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I can't co-parent with my ex husband. everytime I try to

Customer Question

I can't co-parent with my ex husband. everytime I try to open dialogue I am berated and called awful names. My youngest is now 15. what can I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am sorry that you are having this difficulty co-parenting, I can understand how distressing this abuse can be to you. May I ask, have you considered hiring a family law attorney and seeking sole custody of your children?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, I don't necessarily believe this is the answer.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 9 months ago.

You can try Family Therapy, but I doubt your ex-husband will be open to that since he is probably in denial of his behavior. You have to understand your ex is the only person responsible for his behavior and that means he must choose to co-parent amicably with you and not abuse. Just like you are the only person in control of your behavior and actions, he is the only person in control of his actions. If he will not compromise or work with you than that suggests he will never change and that means you must consider trying to go alone in regards ***** ***** your children.