Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My 39 year old son who is remarried does not want me to talk

Customer Question

My 39 year old son who is remarried does not want me to talk to his ex girlfriend whom he did not have children with...I don't believe he should tell me who can be my friends.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, is there a reason why he does not want you to speak to his ex? Did the relationship end badly between them?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it did end up badly.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your response. I agree that your son cannot tell you who you can or cannot be friends with, but I think that your son believes that it would be a betrayal if you were friends with his ex given that the relationship ended badly and he may still have some negative feelings towards her. In his mind, he may feel that you are choosing her over him and that is why he is acting in this way. Obviously the choice is up to you on what you want to do in terms of this friendship, but I am just letting you know of what your son may be thinking regarding this friendship.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.