Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I have just started to take Sertraline. Today my manager

Customer Question

I have just started to take Sertraline for depression. Today my manager sent me home for smelling of alcohol - I haven't had any alcohol since the beginning of December when I had one glass of wine and ended up with a painful rash on my back and stomach. I am not doubting that my manager genuinely believes she smelled alcohol - but, I know that I have not had a drink. I have not been sleeping well - I don't know if that makes a difference?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, what is your specific mental health question that you would like an answer to in regards ***** ***** situation? Makes a difference for what?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
my question is that I have just started to take Sertraline for depression (which is a result of work related stress). Today my manager sent me home for smelling of alcohol - I haven't had any alcohol since the beginning of December when I had one glass of wine and ended up with a painful rash on my back and stomach -I seem to have developed an allergy. I am not doubting that my manager genuinely believes she smelled alcohol - but, I know that I have not had a drink. I have not been sleeping well - I don't know if that makes a difference?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

I read the situation, but makes a difference for what exactly? Are you asking if the Sertraline causes an alcohol smell to come from your breath?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
can it cause an odour that could be confused for alcohol - I have tried to smell my own breath - unsuccessfully
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

No Sertraline 100 percent will not cause your breath to smell of alcohol at all. I am not sure why your boss smelled alcohol, but it definitely was not from the Sertraline

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.