Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Why would a person go through life emotionally rescuing

Customer Question

why would a person go through life emotionally rescuing others? what are they getting from it?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I cannot read a person's mind on why they want to "rescue" other people as there could be literally hundreds of reasons, so would it be possible if you can expand on the background of this individual and give examples of how he/she is rescuing others?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She collects friends and lovers who have low self esteem from cold aloof mothers and alcoholic fathers. Goes out of her way and often builds them up and down the road may or may not use them for her use if she finds a use for them.or discards them.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your response. It sounds like this individual has her own self-esteem and self-worth issues and possibly does this behavior to convince herself that she is a good person that goes out of her way to help others. Individuals like this view each person as a "task" that she needs to accomplish and help in their own unique way, then when she does this it provides her with a feeling of satisfaction. But this satisfaction is usually short-lived which is why she has to find use for the person in something else or needs to find a new individual to help to again make her feel good about her self. Does she often brag or boast about how she helps others?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
she is uses it to brag and build herself up.is she a codependent or not necessarily?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

No she would not qualify for codependency as that involves controlling, manipulating, and basically harming others which is not her goal as she truly believes she is helping. It just sounds like she is "helping" others to make her feel worthy and appreciated, but it is not enough to do these acts as she wants praise from others as well, which explains the boasting. Unfortunately her own self-esteem and self-worth is never satisfied because she is not working on herself, so she has to move on to the next "charity case" to help to lift up her self-esteem, so it is a vicious cycle for her.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.