Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I am wondering if my mother has any mental issues. She

Customer Question

I am wondering if my mother has any mental issues. She constantly talks about people including myself in a negative way. When i confront her she denies she does this even when i clearly hear her loud and clear upstairs. She also use to forcefully go into my room by picking the lock with a knife and standing over me. She later told me that she was concerned, but during the incidents when i questioned her she would run away. It got so bad that i moved downstairs because i was scared, plus the lock broke. By the way im 21 years old. Whenever i tried to do something different, that was not harmful to anyone, she judged it harshly instead of supporting it, like going natural and veganism. She is very judgemental. Even when i told her i liked girls she tried forcing me to be straight by saying your straight and not gay like i had no say so in who i liked. Another thing she sometimes does is say threatening things to me. It use to be so bad that my brother had to tell her to stop in a stern voice. She also has no consideration for my feelings and continues to talk bad about me to family. She has manipulated my aunt and brother to be against me because i am the only one pointing out their issues. She use to date two guys that treated her horribly. One being my father, but i won't get to deep in that. She is also single at 60.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that your mother has been treating you in this way, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. While I cannot diagnose your mother officially without a face to face evaluation, I can speculate as to some of her issues. If your mother has been behaving in this manner for most of your life than it would appear she may have a personality disorder, possibly a mix of Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) and Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD). But even if she does have a mental health disorder, does that really matter because you recognize that her behavior is harmful to your mental well being and is overall problematic. So even if she has a disorder or not, that still does not take away from the fact that she is displaying this problematic behavior and I believe it would be in your best interest to try to get away from her as soon as you viably can given the harm she presents to you.