Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My name is my question is when I take vyvanse and other time

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** question is when I take vyvanse and other time release amphetamines they only last between 3to 4 hours what am I suppose to do I tell my psychiatrist. I have been to several with no results other then being compared to a heroin addict and being told I asked one doctor would she help me with my situation she said no she would rather retier in prison I am at the point of just giving up and my adhd is so sever I get terrible anxiety and deppression 😟 and tics can you help me please and I have been on 65 other psyc meds for the past 6 years
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Unfortunately it sounds like you metabolize the medications more quickly than the average person and this is why they do not have a lasting effect for you. Typically what would occur would be to increase the frequency you take the medications, but maintain the same daily dose so that you are getting a constant supply of the ADHD medication. You can ask your doctor to do this, but as for increasing the dose past the daily allowed limits, most psychiatrists would not be willing to do this because this is a Controlled Substance. The other option you can try is to ask to continue with Vyvanse or any other stimulant based ADHD medication and combine it with a Non-Controlled Substance like Wellbutrin, Strattera, or Guanfacine

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did not realize it cost to talk to someone. And I am sorry but I will need to deposit some money for payment some how. Tommorrow I am sorry for the inconvenience. But I do honestly need and answer to my massive problem thank you Lisa
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

Well the answer to your question as to why this is occurring with the Vyvanse is either because you metabolize it very fast or because your ADHD is so severe that the Vyvanse and other stimulant based medications are only effective for a limited time. As for how to get a suitable treatment to overcome these symptoms is not easy because ADHD treatment typically involves the use of a Controlled Substance and most psychiatrists' hands are tied with these types of medications due to state regulations and have to limit your use of them.