Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Im looking doctor to speak with about how I can go about

Customer Question

im looking for a doctor to speak with about how I can go about handling depression, shutting down in certain situations, along with running away, I spoke with a doctor on the phone and he asked me if I had ever thought of harming myself or anyone and I said yes I have but I have no plan to carry it out. with all of this it is affecting my relationship as well and I don't want to lose the one women in my life who hasn't given up hope for me.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Unfortunately this is not an online pharmacy nor a treatment website, so if you are requiring the use of an antidepressant I would recommend that you do go to Urgent Care if that is possible for you. Managing depression is not something that can be done overnight unfortunately as treatment is very gradual and takes time through a combination of therapy and medications. The medications will work to lessen your symptoms more quickly, but it does not address the core causes of your depression which is why the need for therapy. Therapy on the other hand takes months to be truly effective in lessening symptoms though. If you do have thoughts of hurting yourself or others, I agree with the doctor you spoke to that you need an antidepressant as soon as possible before you do have the urge to act on these thoughts.