Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My 100 mg Seroquel not working insomnia tonight. Some nights

Customer Question

My 100 mg Seroquel not working for my insomnia tonight. Some nights it's like I have take. A sugar pill. Is it ok to increase dose or add a klonopin? Thank u
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. It is definitely okay to add Klonopin and/or to increase the dose of Seroquel as long as your doctor allows for this. The only interaction between these two medications are going to be increased drowsiness, dizziness, and overall sedation which is what you want.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which would work faster?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Seroquel usually starts to be effective within 30-45 minutes and Klonopin is effective within 30-90 minutes, so on average Seroquel would work faster.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've already taken a .25 of klonopin 45 min ago? Can I try the larger dose of Seroquel or should I just increase the klonopin?
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Klonopin is considered stronger than Seroquel, so the choice is up to what you and your doctor allow. Ethically I cannot tell you what medication to take or not take as that is a choice between you and your doctor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I'm just wanting some sleep with no luck as usual. Thanks Dr Z for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I understand. It is very difficult and these medications only treat the symptoms, not the core causes of your insomnia. I would recommend that you enter into a Sleep Study and/or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) to help you better understand the core issues surrounding your insomnia. Both Seroquel and Klonopin are relatively safe so you can try to mix/combine the medications in the mean time. Good luck and sleep well :)

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.