Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I am suffering from severe DEREALIZATION (living in a dream

Customer Question

I am suffering from severe DEREALIZATION (living in a dream like state or unreal state) i have seen few psychiatrists and they tell me there is no medication to treat this
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, what is your specific mental health question that you would like an answer to in regards ***** ***** situation?

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

I do not accept phone calls at this time, but you can continue in this Q&A format if you wish.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thanks no question
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

You do not have a question?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thanks and good by
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

Okay, I am still here if you have a question later regarding your Derealization/Depersonalization Disorder.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I asked a question and instead of getting an answer I received some other advice that and I was charged the fee.Please answer my question
Expert:  Linda D. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist. i am not a psychiatrist but I hear your frustration and wanted to help you with the issue of medications for Derealizatiion or Depersonalization disorder. Here are some options that could possibly help you:

• Psychotherapy: This kind of therapy for mental and emotional disorders uses psychological techniques designed to encourage communication of conflicts and insight into problems.
  • Cognitive therapy: This type of therapy focuses on changing dysfunctional thinking patterns.
  • Medication: There is no medication to treat the dissociative disorders themselves. However, a person with a dissociative disorder who also suffers from depression or anxiety might benefit from treatment with a medication such as an antidepressant or anti-anxiety drug. Antipsychotic medications are also sometimes used to help with disordered thinking and perception related to depersonalization.
  • Family therapy: This kind of therapy helps to educate the family about the disorder and its causes, as well as to help family members recognize symptoms of a recurrence.
  • Creative therapies (art therapy, music therapy): These therapies allow the patient to explore and express his or her thoughts and feelings in a safe and creative way.
  • Clinical hypnosis: This is a treatment technique that uses intense relaxation, concentration, and focused attention to achieve an altered state of consciousness or awareness, allowing people to explore thoughts, feelings, and memories they might have hidden from their conscious minds.

I truly hope this information helps you. Please let me know if you have any other questions or issues you would like more information on. Sincerely, Linda