Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I have a 17 year old son. Who says he is unsure of gender.

Customer Question

I have a 17 year old son. Who says he is unsure of gender. Why do kids even question?? What do I say....what do I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. There really is no "why" an adolescent will question their gender as some individuals go through this phase when they are confused and unsure about themselves. May I ask, for how long has your son been having these thoughts and has this been a very distressing concern for him?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is distressing for me. He just loves to shock me with anything that I don't believe in or like
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If there is not a reason why they question....what can I do to encourage him that he is a male.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 10 months ago.

It would be unethical for me to try to push him towards one gender or the other if he is legitimately confused about his assigned gender. I understand that this is distressing for you, but if he is confused about his own gender than most likely it is confusing for him as well and that is why he should go to a Psychologist who specializes in gender confusion/dysphoria so that your son can get a better idea of who he is and who he wants to be moving forward.