Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I have a 13 year old step daughter that has been stealing

Customer Question

I have a 13 year old step daughter that has been stealing things, she has always told lies, she makes up things all the time, about herself, other kids and even adults, she is very dramatic with everything she says and lies to draw attention to herself, or to be like the people she is around at the time, I have suggested to my husband that she needs therapy, and we plan to do that, but we are stumped on how to discipline the stealing aspect of it, I need suggestions! Please
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am glad that you are going to get your step-daughter treatment for these issues as this is a serious issue and hopefully she will respond well to the treatment. As for the punishment, you should require her to apologize to whom she has stolen from, take away privileges, and also compel her to do something productive as a form of punishment and discipline. This can be like volunteering for the local community to pick up trash, scrap off graffiti, work with the elderly, work with children, etc...Punishment in this way will help her to possibly learn empathy and she can be productive in helping the community

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.