Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

My doctor wants me to start taking brintellix while I am

Customer Question

My doctor wants me to start taking brintellix while I am already on 100 milligrams of pristiq. Is this safe? I am concerned about serotonin syndrome.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, what dose of the Brintellix will you start with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5 mg
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your response. The Brintellix dose is considerably low as the maximum dose for this medication is 20mg. Given that you are taking a low to moderate dose of the Pristiq (the stated maximum dose is 400mg/day) the risk of Serotonin Syndrome with the addition of Brintellix at 5mg is nearly non-existent. You do not have to worry about Serotonin Syndrome with the addition of Brintellix at the 5mg dose along with the dose of the Pristiq since both medications are at relatively low doses. If both medications were at a high dose than the risk of Serotonin Syndrome would be probable, but in your circumstance the risk is near zero.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I hope this answers your question and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.