Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

Im quite certain I suffer from severe depression and a

Customer Question

Im quite certain I suffer from severe depression and a multitude of psychotic disorders including schizophrenia and severe crippling anxiety. I don't want to turn to my doctor because I have a terrible fear of them and have been told they're bad. I feel they're help will be slow and ineffective as consequence and feel I need immediate help of specific degree to actually positively help me. I'm considering cutting my head and elsewhere (I already cut myself but I want to do something to be noticed) to demonstrate my immediate need. I can't function daily and I don't feel responsible for my own life. The fact I am now 18 makes it worse because I am entirely responsible for myself. What do I do.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that you are struggling with these severe symptoms, I can understand how distressing this can be. I am not sure why you believe a doctor will not help you or are considered "bad," because a psychiatrist will definitely help you if you believe you are suffering from psychotic and mood symptoms. A psychiatrist can provide you with medication that will start to work near immediately for your psychosis and anxiety, and can help lessen your depressive symptoms gradually, so if you go to the Emergency Room right now you will get properly medicated and these symptoms will lessen very soon for you. I know you are concerned about going to a doctor, but a psychotic disorder and severe mood disorders can only be treated with psychotropic medications and you can even request an injection to get a faster response to the medication and alleviation of your symptoms.