Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I have been diagnosed with mild anxiety and am clinically

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with mild anxiety and am clinically underweight. It's not enough to necessitate a prescription, but I was reading on medical marijuana to help alleviate some anxiety. A side effect is increased appetite. Is that a viable option? I live in Washington, D.C. where it is legal. I want some advice before asking my physician.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Medical Marijuana can perhaps lessen your anxiety and cause some increase in appetite, but the weight gain does not occur for most people. Truthfully it is not considered the best option for treating anxiety as marijuana does have a tendency to make anxiety worse for some people (around 5-20 percent in recent studies) so often its use for psychiatric reasons is not recommended by most physicians at this time, still it can be worth trying if you want. Another option would be to try an antidepressant called Mirtazapine that is excellent for treating Anxiety and is also an appetite stimulant that will cause you to eat more.