Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I had tbi of my frontal lobe and was in a coma a month.

Customer Question

I had tbi of my frontal lobe and was in a coma for over a month. Since then I've learned to walk again. I thought the worst was passed. I was wrong. I personally think the tbi caused completely dibilitating insomnia. I stay awak for nearly 10 days and just pass out from exhaustion. My son had to call 911 a couple months ago because I collapsed and knocked myself unconscious. I woke up later in the icu. Nobody believes I really can't sleep for over 10 days. I try. My wife is getting upset with me and ive put up with this for over 8 months. I'm about to call it quits. The anxiety is non stop for no reason. I've never had mental problems before my accident but Noone can help. Ambien makes me sleep walk badly. Lunesta doesn't work. Belsomra doesn't work. Only think that gives me a few hours of sleep is xanax or tamazapam but no one wants to prescribe those.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that you have suffered from this level of insomnia for so long, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. I would recommend going to a psychiatrist that specializes in neurological and/or insomnia cases if possible than you may be able to get a prescription for the Xanax or Temazepam. In the mean time, other medicatons you can try would be Gabapentin as this is a non-addictive medication that acts in a similar fashion as the benzodiazepines, so you may respond to it. Gabapentin also has a secondary function of lessening anxiety as well. Other sleep aids that your doctor can consider would be Trazodone, Doxepin, and Seroquel as these all have a strong sedative effect and can lessen anxiety for you too.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.