Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I get very depressed when someone compares me with my older

Customer Question

I get very depressed when someone compares me with my older sister. When someone says, we look just alike. I start to think that they are saying that we look the same age. My sister is 10 years older and when someone says we look just alike she gets happy because she always says she doesn't look her age. When people see me from years ago, they always tell me that I haven't aged a bit. But when a stranger who doesn't know me comes up to me and says do you have a sister name."Donna" and then I say yes, and then the comment comes up, you all look just alike. Does that sound like they are saying that I look just as old as my sister or my sister looks like she is my age ? It wouldn't be so bad if my sister early on didn't compare her looks to mine and now people are giving her compliments and making me feel bad about my looks. This is a problem.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 11 months ago.

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

Well, you see the fact that you and your sister have resemblance with each other is quite evident as at times people have related the two of you with one another taking one of you as a reference point but that does not mean that you two look same age. You see many times sons and daughters get recognised by complete strangers who happen to know their parents, but that certainly does not mean that they also equate the ages of of the two generations. Likewise, you must be looking a younger version of your older sister or she been taken as an older version of you. So pleas do not take stress over this matter as nobody would mistake yours and hers age as being equal. And if she gets happy by getting related to you on the basis of resemblance then let her gloat as in all of this you are the reference point to whom people are equating with and reference point is always taken as a standard value which in itself means that you are better looking.

I hope this helps you to put this behind you and move on in life into more important matters.

Wish you all enjoyed best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards

If you have any further query please feel free to ask.

If you have no further query and if you are satisfied with the answer then kindly please leave a POSITIVE RATING so that I can be credited for my service.

Regards