Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Tamara. I have been in therapy years now and yesterday was

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Tamara. I have been in therapy for 5 years now and yesterday was the first time I teared up in a session. While it was a validation of the trust I have in my T, the thought of why it happened only now is bothering me. I have had two therapists in the past 5 years and have never cried, even if I wanted to really badly. What does it actually mean to have been able to let those emotions out yesterday. I can't stop thinking about it; trying o figure out what it actually means. Can you help me with this?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have had a difficult childhood and am still trying to deal with some of those issues. I am 31 years old now. I have had depression for the better part of my life and BPD.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mental Health Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. You stated that you have been in therapy for 5 years with two different therapists, how long have you been with this current therapist? Also did you discuss something different in therapy yesterday compared to previous sessions? Lastly have you been under and recent level of stress that you would consider overwhelming? ,