Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

This is very, very difficult to ask, mainly because I'm not

Customer Question

This is very, very difficult to ask, mainly because I'm not an emotional person to begin with. I often question if there is something wrong with me, or if I have a mental illness. Today, I was thinking about what the point to continue living was. Happy or Sad, Rich or Poor, what difference does it make in the end when your gone. Is quality of life something that is believed to keep accepting what is? I have my girlfriend of almost 12 years, but I don't believe in marriage. We have a son who is 10 that is secretly looking at gay porn. I have a computer business that I have no motivation to keep running. Anything I try always ends up in failure, and I'm sick of the feeling. I also feel that it will never change, and I'm stuck in a life I dont want, nor can I change because I can't take the emotions that come with cutting myself off from everybody. Please help me understand why I should greet the morning with determination, and shake this feeling of self loathing.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 11 months ago.

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

I am sorry to learn about your predicament and i empathise with you since it seems like you are really struggling to keep afloat at the moment. Your negative outlook towards life and lack of hope for a better future speaks volumes about your agony and dysphoria that you are trying to cope with. However, having said that, I would like to encourage you to try to see and appreciate some of the things which have stuck with you for good but unfortunately have been sidelined and left unappreciated because of your emotional upheaval that some roadblocks and bottlenecks have brought up in your life, which you term as failures. Here I am talking about your partner and son who have supported you through the trouble times like a rock and I am sure there must be many more significant individuals who had gone out of their way to lend support t

o you. So when these people did not loose hope why are you loosing the same. You see success and failure are 2 sides of the same coin and no one is exempted from tasting either of them. So if one can cherish the highs of a successful outcome , the same should also be ready to endure the lows of a failure . Whosoever survives the failures shall be able to keep oneself grounded at times of success and vice versa. You are so much self consumed into your failure that you are not able to see the ray of light at the end of the tunnel, so it is my humble plea to you is that please do not get blinded by a transient phase of failure and continue to do your best to survive as soon there shall be a successful outcome waiting for you. I strongly feel that you should get started on an antidepressant medication such as lexapro or zoloft which shall, help you to find positives in your life and help you to overcome this depressive mind set. Along with it you shall seek therapy such as Cognitive Behavior Therapy ( CBT) from a clinical psychologist so as to learn coping skills against stressful situations such as these and thereby allow yourself to be able to garner courage and enthusiasm for your future endeavours. I hope this brings some perspective. Wish you all the best.Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer. Regards

If there is any further query then please do not hesitate to ask.

If there is no further query and if you are satisfied with the answer then kindly please leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards