How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Z Your Own Question
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 10547
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Z is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

MY 23 yr old has been frabricating since?!?! As parents, we

Customer Question

MY 23 yr old has been frabricating since?!?! As parents, we are very concerned. How do we fix this? I'm thinking a family therapist of some kind. Psychiatrists, psychologists?!?! Thank you
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. It looks like part of your question may have been cut off, may I ask for how long has your son been lying or "fabricating?" Also what typical lies does he tell?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well, I think maybe since High school. His last two years of college he never went. Told us he was going, told us he had a paper due, told us he was at the library. He has a few things going on in his life that maybe contributing.?!?!He lost his brother when he was 17. He is gay, came out Jr. Yr. of college and a diabetic since 14.
He has friends, he's very social, took a improv class with a friend recently. Loves to cook, loves to spend $$. Likes nice things.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your response. It does sound like he is probably lying to avoid feeling shame, insecurity, or even lying to not deal with certain issue. The good news is that it does not appear he is lying just for the sake of lying, but more in a response to life stressors as he may not know how to cope with such daily stressors or how to approach them appropriately. This type of lying behavior can easily be corrected with therapy, more specifically Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). I would recommend that he see a Psychologist/Therapist to start therapy right away. He can ask his primary care physician for a referral if he wishes or he can use this website where he just has to put his zip code and a number of therapists closest to him will appear.

Your son can overcome this behavior and can start to take more responsibility for his actions and behavior through treatment, but it will probably take at least a few months for the therapy to be effective.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Would a psychologist be able to prescribe meds? He is on escitalopram.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

Only a handful of states allow psychologists to prescribe psychotropic medications and that is after they complete a post-doctoral degree, so most likely if you want a medication adjustment for your son than he would need to see a psychiatrist. But a medication change probably will not stop the lying behavior as medication does not address that, which is why therapy would be better for him to address this issue and to help him learn more effective and healthy coping strategies.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dr. Z, where are you located? You sound like the Dr. I've been trying to find!
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

I am located in California, but unfortunately I am also not taking patients at this time.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That's the hard part, finding Drs who are taking new patients and that you can connect with!
Well, I thank you for your time and will definitely keep your number, hopefully I won't have to use it.
My Best,
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 11 months ago.

You are most welcome and I truly hope your son can overcome these issues very soon. Good luck to the both of you :)

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.

Related Mental Health Questions